Sunday, September 19, 2010

Earthquake Stories

Addington children returned to school on Monday 13 September. They began the week by catching up with friends, sharing stories and practicing their "Drop, Cover and Hold" moves. Here are some of their stories...


We got in our car and drove and drove and drove. We were looking for a safe place.
My mum was saying “God please stop this” in our language. We didn’t know what was happening. We slept in our car. Our car kept rocking. I saw some smashed roads and houses.
I didn’t know what was happening. I was shaking and couldn’t stop. I thought a monster was coming to get us. I sleep under the table with mum every night now. I don’t like sleeping in my bed anymore.
When the shakes come my mum cuddles me.
My big brother jumped out the window and cut his arm. 
We put our mattresses all in one room and sleep together now. We like sleeping with mum and dad.
We know what to do if it shakes in our classroom and if we are in the playground. We are good at being Tommy Turtles.
My friends house fell down but ours is OK. It just shakes some times. We don’t like that. 

My chimney fell down but only on the outside of our house. 
Since the 7.1 original earthquake we have had over 700 aftershocks. 

3 comments:

  1. Hi Addington ESOL kids. So glad you are back at school after all those earthquakes. I didn't forget about you. I love all these stories, art work and especailly the work on prepositions. Well done. Hope to be in contact more often with my ESOL class next year. Happy holidays from Jackie Dodd, Te Wharau School, Gisborne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jackie the children love getting comments. Hope you can get a blog up and running next year as we would love to share stories with you.
    The children took all the preposition pictures themselves. We still have a lot more to post. They love using the digital camera and this is a wonderful fun way to learn about prepositions. Best wishes to you all at Te Wharau School. Enjoy your holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So far we now have had over 4,000 aftershocks.

    ReplyDelete